Student (X Visa)

Updated:  November 16, 2016 L M S

(X) Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China for study for a period of more than six months (long-term student). An alien who comes to China for study for a period of no more than six months (short-term student) shall apply for a (F) Visa.

Documents required:

1. Valid passport with a validity period of at least six (6) months and at least one blank page left in it.

2. One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one recent 2" x 2" photo (black & white or color is acceptable, attached to the application form).

3. Approved document for coming to China for study (original and copy):

● A long-term student shall submit an approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) issued by the authorized Chinese unit and an admission letter from the Chinese school.

● Form JW201 or JW202 is an approved document for admission. The applicant shall also fill out a Visa Application Form (Q1).

● A short-term student shall submit a visa application notification issued by the authorized Chinese unit and an admission letter.

4. The applicant who will study in China for more than one year shall provide a Physical Examination Record for Foreign Citizens.

5. The spouse and children of a foreign student may apply for Tourist (L) Visa. The applicant shall submit proof of relationship, e.g. a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, etc., as well as a photocopy of the foreign student’s student visa and residence certificate. For details of (L) Visa application, please refer to General Information for the Application of China Tourist Visa.

If the visa application form is not filled out completely, correctly and legibly, this can cause a delay in processing or refusal of the requested visa. 
Application submission and processing time:

An applicant shall go in person or send someone else or a travel/visa agent to go to the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate-General in the consular jurisdiction where the applicant resides for application process.

●  No appointment is required.

●   Mail applications are not acceptable and will be refused.

●   The regular processing time is 4 working days. For express service, additional fees of $30 for 1 working day processing (applicable only to travelers making funeral arrangements, visiting a patient in a critical condition or on urgent business), or $20 for 2-3 working days processing will be charged.

  Visa fee, validity and duration of stay:

1. Cash, money order, cashier’s check and company check are acceptable.

2. The check or money order shall be made payable to Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate.

3. Visa fees: $50 for American, and $30 for citizens of other countries.

4. (X) Visa, issued by the Embassy or Consulate to a long-term student, is valid for one entry, three months, with the duration of stay not specified. The holder of a (X) Visa shall, within 30 days of entry into China, obtain an alien’s residence card from the public security bureau at the place of their residence. The period of validity of the aforementioned certificate is the duration of the holders’ permitted stay in China.

5. (F) visa, issued by the Embassy or Consulate to a short-term student, is valid for one entry, three months, with the duration of stay specified on the visa as “you can stay in China for no more than XXX days since the entry date” (XXX indicates a number).

Additional information:

The Consular Officers have the authority to refuse any visa applications inconsistent with Chinese laws and regulations, or revoke issued visas.

All information provided above is subject to change, without notice, at the discretion and interpretation of this Consulate General.