Epidemic prevention tips for the maternal or the perinatal
Updated:2020-02-17 (Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention)
An updated version of epidemic prevention tips for maternal or perinatal women was published by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDCP).
During the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pneumonia, if women are infected by the virus late in their pregnancy, the illness will severely affect the mothers and endanger their fetuses.
These tips, designed to guarantee maternal and infant health, have been based on current information about the disease, and are applicable as prevention guidance for the maternal or the perinatal - as well as their family members - during the epidemic.
Prevention at home
1. Make sure that indoor rooms have good air flow and a comfortable temperature; keep the window open appropriately and avoid being too cold or overheating so as not to catch a cold.
2. Towels, bath towels, tableware, bedding and other daily necessities for the maternal or the perinatal should be used alone to avoid cross-infection.
3. Keep hands clean at all times. Before meals and after using the toilet, wash your hands with running water and soap, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. When you are not sure whether your hands are clean, avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
4. Maintain balanced nutrition; eat a light and healthy meal; avoid overeating; control your weight.
5. Avoid visits from friends and relatives; avoid close contact with people who have flu or cold-like symptoms and people who have been to epidemic-stricken areas within two weeks of their return.
6. Insist on breastfeeding, and wash hands before feeding babies.